Bake Along #110 – Coconut MacaroonsMarch 3, 2020 2021-09-04 18:52
Bake Along #110 – Coconut Macaroons
Most of us would have the nostalgic thought about this delicacy. Being a kid and having bought these from the near by bakeries and relishing it. It is much fun to make them at home and surprise our families.
This is no rocket science, much like any other bake that we have been doing. Except the thought that, it has the word macaroon in it and we might have the tendency to think it is hard to nail. This has zero chances of failure and you are a sure shot to get these macaroons in your table in less than an hours time.
I decided to use fresh coconut, bake them in the oven and make my own shredded coconut and do everything from scratch. Well I even had the fresh coconut grated and all ready. It was in the verge of getting ready, but today was not the day for it. I burnt it in the oven while I was engrossed seriously in whatsap
But that is definitely a better option. Grate coconut, spread them out in a baking tray lined with silicon mat or butter paper. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degree C for 15 minutes. Open the oven during half the time of baking and mix the coconut scraps so it gets toasted evenly. When it starts to leave out the aroma of toasted coconut, let them cool completely. These can be used in the recipe to make these coconut macaroons.
There are recipes using egg whites and sugar with sweetened shredded coconut. I wanted to use the one which has condensed milk. It just works beautifully. I love how these are crispy on the outside and chewy and soft in the inside. Lovely coconut flavor with the right amount of sweetness and adequate salt, makes it ask for more.
- Shredded / Desiccated coconut – 300 gms
- Condensed milk – 300 gms
- Egg whites – 2
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- 1/3Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degree C. Line up a baking tray with silicon mat/butter paper.
2. Add shredded coconut and condensed milk in a large bowl.
3. Mix coconut and condensed milk together using a spatula. Keep aside.
4. Add egg whites and salt in a stainless steel bowl and start beating on medium high speed until it is frothy.
5. Add vanilla extract and beat on medium high speed until it becomes frothy and stiff.
6. Add the stiff egg whites into the coconut-condensed milk mixture.
7. Fold it using a rubber spatula until the egg whites combines well along with the other ingredients.
8. Scoop them using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop. Place them in the prepared baking sheet. Bake in pre- heated oven for 20 to 22 minutes at 180 degree C.
9. The cookies will be golden brown all over and would be brown on the base. Cool them on the wire rack.
But you deserve one, really warm
The coconut what I have used is finer in texture. I would have loved a longer shredded coconut. But I m going to try it again with home made shredded coconut.
You can make your own variations in any number of ways. These are so forgiving. Add in a hand full of chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, chopped toasted nuts of choice like cashews, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts etc..
Finely chopped fresh fruits like strawberries, pineapples, apples. Dried fruits like dates, raisins, apricots, figs etc. Grate in lemon or orange zest with their juices for the citric lovers. Substitute half of the coconut with crushed cornflakes to have added crunchiness. You can also have a combination of the choices mentioned here and create your own flavor.
Shred that coconut!! Right away!