Bake Along #109 – Puff Pastry Chicken PocketsMarch 3, 2020 2021-09-04 18:51
Bake Along #109 – Puff Pastry Chicken Pockets
Making puff pastry is a very satisfying process, a labor of love. Contrarily, I was also amazed at the fact of the ready puff pastry sheets. They are not very expensive, keep them frozen and then you have dishes to relish in just few minutes and they are done.
I may stock more of these sheets and have different fillings each time and surprise my family as much as I did this time. I just wanted to keep things simple this time. Spiced and tossed chicken. Some amazing cheddar and parmesan cheese. Marinara sauce and bell peppers. Seasoned with my usual favourite dominoes all-spice. It was bang on and the layers in the sheets blew me off
As you may know, we have already done puff pastry but not the laminating method. Still they are great to try out. Check out here to make your own puff pastry sheets.
Mawa cake source: MyDiverseKitchen
- Puff pastry sheets – 12 * 3 inch sized sheets
- Chicken – 250 gms, De-boned and chopped into small pieces
- Bell peppers – 1/2 cup de-seeded & finely chopped
- Olive oil / any cooking oil – 2 tablespoons
- Cheddar cheese – 150 gms
- Parmesan cheese – 150 gms
- All-spice – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon, adjust
- Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon, adjust
- Chilly flakes – 1/2 teaspoon, adjust
- Lemon juice – 1/2 teaspoon
- Marinara sauce – 1/2 cup ( Check out here to make your own )
- Egg / milk – For egg/milk wash
1. Wash the chicken thoroughly, pat them dry. Add the spices, chilly flakes, lemon juice, salt, pepper and one tablespoon of oil. Keep the salt on the lower side. Mix them thoroughly. Marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a tawa on stove top. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and cook the spiced chicken pieces for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
3. Do not over cook, or they may get tough. Set them aside.
5. The pastry sheets I had, were 6 inch by 6 inch squares. I cut them into 4 each 3 inch squares.
6. Pre-heat oven to 200 degree C. Brush the cupcake tins with oil. Place the puff pastry squares in each cups.
7. Add a teaspoon of cheese as the first layer. Include both the cheese.
8. Top it with a teaspoon of marinara sauce.
9. Followed by chicken pieces.
10. Add in some bell peppers.
11. Be liberal and top it with cheese. Both of them. Brush the sides of the pastry sheets with egg/milk wash. Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 to 30 minutes until it turns golden brown.
12. Once out of oven, let cool for 5 minutes and remove them from the cups and they are ready to be devoured.
U can serve them with a simple ketchup or any sauce of your choice. Keep the salt of the cooked chicken/veges low. The cheese and the marinara sauce added will have their own salt and all together, you don’t want to increase the salt content.
There is literally no rule in how to use them to make your dish. Go wild and fill them up with anything and get a puff pastry pocket dish of your choice